Monday, August 6, 2007

"You don't look like you have an eating disorder"

That's the genius quote of the day from my orthopedist. I am having some issues with numbness in my feet and I asked if that could have anything to do with the ED. Doc's response: "You don't look like you have an eating disorder. Which one?" First, nobody looks like they have an ED, necessarily. It is a MENTAL illness, of the MIND, not of the body. People look like they have the side effects of an ED. Second, I hate the question "which one?" EDs are not like picking candy off the shelf. "Which top did you pick? Which ED do you have???" What the hell. Next, the genius says "don't do that anymore. You have the discipline to ride at Chesterland so don't do that anymore." Okay, sure, I won't as long as you decide to not breathe anymore.

Watch me. I show him that I DO have an ED and hell, hopefully I will look like it. Because then I would be thin.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I remember when I first told someone of the insanity that had become my ED. She asked if I thought I might have one and I told her I was too fat to have an eating disorder.

And as for "showing" the doctor that you do have one... I sought out counseling years ago but first had to be screened by a psychiatrist. At the time, I weighed about 160, but I had lost 140 pounds in about 9-10 months. The doctor told me I still had weight to lose. I took it as a challenge.

I left the office and promptly lost another 20 pounds in 3 weeks or so. I never did see him again so the only person I ended up "showing" was myself. Looking back, the physical harm I incurred was not worth the cost.